Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Eating on the Road - Motorcycle Touring Edition

If staying on program while traveling weren't difficult enough, making good choices while motorcycle touring presents it's own set of challenges.

Away from my normal routine and resources, I have little direct control over what (and often when) I eat, other than attempting to make good choices when I order food. When in remote areas, I'm generally limited to chain fast food restaurants, or local places that are a complete unknown. Also, many rural areas have little understanding of nutrition so designated "healthy plates" are generally mushy vegetable and dry chicken, ordered infrequently and prepared indifferently.


I got on the road really early. My stomach wasn't ready for food, but I didn't know when I'd next find a source of sustenance. During my morning fuel up, I purchased a glazed Krispy Kreme donut and a bottled Starbucks Frappuccino. About an hour later, I pulled over at a vista point up on the Blue Ridge Parkway and had my breakfast. (9 points)

Analyzing the situation, (I wasn't on a diet at the time) I could have made better choices. My breakfast was almost pure sugar and probably didn't keep me going for very long.

Anyway, I've resolved to do better this time. I'll journal my food intake on my Ipaq/E-book reader and try not to go too far over points while forgiving myself if I do end up gaining a little weight. My primary goal for this trip is to maintain the weight loss I've already achieved.

These restaurants are ones that are common to small towns along the interstates. The items listed are things that I'm likely to order and feel satisfied after eating. (and this post is mostly for me to print out and use as a cheat sheet)

Breakfast (4-6 pts):

McDonalds:
Fruit n Yogurt Parfait w/granola (small) - 3 pts
Egg McMuffin - 6.5 pts
Coffee w/ 2 creams and splenda - 1 pt

Denny's:
Oatmeal or Cereal - 2-4 pts
2 slices toast w/ eggbeaters - 4 pts
Coffee w/ 2 creams and sweetener (no refills) - 1 pt

Starbucks:
grande nonfat iced latte - 2 pts
oatmeal w/ fruit topping - 4 pts

Motel Continental Breakfast:
Cereal, Yogurt, Oatmeal
Fruit
Coffee

Lunch (5-9 pts)/Dinner (7-15 pts):

McDonalds:
6pc nuggets w/honey (1) - 7.5pts
Honey mustard grilled chx snack wrap - 6 pts
Premium Grilled chicken sandwich - 8.5 pts
Filet o' Fish - 9.5 pts
small fries - 5.5 pts

Subway:
6" Turkey Sub, wheat bread, no cheese/mayo - 5.5 pts
Baked Lays - 3 pts
Iced tea - 0 pts

Quiznos:
Small Honey Bourbon Chicken Sandwich, wheat bread - 7 pts
Small Tomato Basil soup - 2 pts
Iced tea - 0 pts

Sonic:
Chicken Club Toaster, no bacon - 14 pts
Peach Iced Tea (large) - 1 pt

Pizza Hut:
Personal Pan Pizza with Ham & Pineapple - 12.5 pts
Personal Pan Pizza Veggie Lovers - 12 pts
Personal Pan Pizza Chicken Supreme - 13.5
Iced Tea - 0 pts

Denny's:
Grilled Chicken (4) with green beans and plain baked potato - 8 pts
Grilled Tilapia (10.5) with corn and plain baked potato - 15.5 pts
Grilled Chicken sandwich, no mayo, no fries - 10 pts
Side Salad w FF Ranch or FF Italian, no croutons (+2.5) - 3 pts
Iced Tea - 0 pts

Special Treats (1-5 pts):

McDonalds:
Vanilla Ice Cream Cone - 3.5 pts

Starbucks:
T/G Coffee Light Frappuccino (no whip) - 2/2.5 pts
T/G Caramel Light Frappuccino (no whip) - 2.5/3 pts

Sonic:
Vanilla Cone - 4.5 pts
Jr M&M sundae - 4.5 pts

Wendy's:
Jr Frosty - 3.5 pts

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you are determined. Remember you can toss buns to help lower calorie/point counts as well.

Good luck and have fun!