Tuesday, June 2, 2009

New Goal : June Weight Training

I've been trying to focus hard on running lately, establishing a habit and all...

But I also really want to start weight training again. I plan to do two weight lifting workouts each week in June (total of 8 for the month).

I've reached back into my weight lifting history to Krista's (stumptuous.com) "No Fat Chicks" post along with ExRx for exercise instructions. Like the Couch to 5k plan, Krista starts you out slow with a couple of weeks of quick, easy workouts progressing toward harder, more reps on a 12 week schedule. I like this format.

I have everything I need at home: dumbells with some assorted weights, an adjustable bench, even a recumbent exercise bike for quick cardio warmups. I'm logging (weight, sets, reps) my workouts in a spreadsheet on GoogleDocs.

Krista suggests 10-15 minutes of cardio after the workout. Instead of more jogging or spinning, I'll take this as a directive to take Lucy for a 20 minute walk to the high school and back.

I did my first workout today after work. I'm glad that this plan starts out slow, because multiple sets of squats in the past have left me with shaky legs the next day. I'm running tomorrow morning, so I really really hope my legs will be up to the task.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sweet I'll have to check that out. I'm trying to setup a home gym also for my weight training. Now I'm just stumped on an actual routine. Thanks for the link!