Wednesday, June 10, 2009

What's Next?

I'm almost done with Couch to 5k and have been looking for a plan to follow after my first 5k race. 

I'd like to try for one 5k each month to give me an extra reason to continue with my running. I'd also like a structured program to help improve my speed and endurance. Eventually I'd like to consider a 10k and/or half marathon. A full 26.2 mile marathon currently holds little attraction for me. I doubt Lucy would be able to accompany me on training runs for that and exercising with her is one of my big priorities.

Podrunner has a nice program with interval running set to music. There's a choice of an 8k or 10k program, but I'm not sure I want to run short intervals again after working myself up to being able to run for 30 minutes at a time.

I think I've settled on One Hour Runner (OHR). It starts off with several weeks of 30 minute runs and then, over 10 weeks, works up to being able to run a once weekly long run of 60 minutes at a time. I'll have to time it with my HRM watch and supply my own music. According to research I've read, as I build endurance doing long runs, my speed should improve on short runs. I think Lucy should still be capable of this because she's never really running, just trotting along next to me. I will need to start waking up earlier and and earlier though.

2 comments:

Caley said...

Hey! It's skinnywish here form 3fC. That's awesome that you are going to keep upping your mileage...i am signed up for a hlaf marathon in October, but am starting to wonder if that's too soon...oh well, whether i walk or run, i will finish! happy running!

Anonymous said...

Check out Hal Higdon's running plans. I'm intending to start his novice 10K plan after the Dad's Day 5k.